I have had these three little keys that I picked up years ago. Three little keys, sitting in my craft drawer, just waiting for me to make something useful out of them. When I first found them, I loved how each one had a different shape and finish to them. I found them new, but the finishes on them made them feel a little antiqued.
I came across these keys last week, as they had been tucked away for quite a while. I decided it was time to do something with them. You see, I have been a bit on a decorating spree. Been taking walls and corners and trying to pretty them up. So, when I saw these keys again, I decided it was time to do something with them.
First, I started by pulling out a sheet of watercolor paper. I trimmed it to 8.25 by 8.25. I pulled out my distress inks, browns, reds, yellows and pinks, along with some water and mixed the colors around directly onto the paper. I sprayed the paper with water to keep the inks running around and blending smoothly.
For a fun effect, while there were still puddles of inks and water, I lightly sprinkled on kosher salt. Once dry, it created a pretty spotted effect.
I pulled out my Gears 2 clear stamp set. I used the diamond background from that set and stamped twice in white pigment ink and then a couple of times using red brick distress ink. I stamped a few times on opposite corners. (As shown)
Next for the keys. I laid them out how I wanted them. I poked little holes just under the keys so I could sew the keys into place with clear thread. Once all was finished, I mounted and framed.
This project turned out beautiful, it will find a home on my wall, and it was quick and easy to make!